I heard a priest
use the F word his weekend.
No, not that one –
get your head out of the gutter.
The OTHER F word.
“Fertile.”
Let’s
back up a bit. Steve and I attended a wedding this weekend. A friend of his
from high school got married, and he was a groomsman. I was looking forward to
indulging in some new makeup for the occasion (oh hey Sephora), eating more than
my fair share of cake, and attempting to avoid the free wine (I caved. Half a
glass.). Plus, this is the month before IVF so it would be a good opportunity
for Steve and I to enjoy each other’s company.
I
was content and listening to the priest during the nuptial mass, when he
started to talk about readings from the book of Genesis. God made everything,
and it was all good.
Then,
he used the dreaded word. ‘Fertile’. Enthusiastically preaching about how it
was part of the sacrament of marriage, and surely he happy couple would be
blessed with many children.
I
have my times where I can honestly let anything pass without much notice. Dealing
with infertility, you learn to block it out as a coping mechanism.
No, I don’t see the happy
pregnant couple next to me in the store.
Nope, didn’t just see another
Facebook pregnancy announcement.
Definitely didn’t just hear
someone mischaracterizing infertility.
Smile,
nod, and walk away.
But
this time, I flinched. It caught me
off guard and I had to compose myself. Noticeably, I think, because my mother
in law, who was seated next to me, reached over and squeezed my arm.
I’m
a lifelong Catholic, and the priest did not use any words I had not heard
before, or extol any virtues I wouldn’t expect at a wedding mass. Okay, I may
be more used to the term fruitful over fertile, but maybe that’s just my parish
versus this one.
But
this time, it got to me. “Be fertile and multiply.” Like it was a choice. Like
it was a given that a good Catholic would be given children abundantly. There's
something awful about being in a church of your own faith and having the priest
suggest God hands out babies as rewards for being a “wonderful person”.
I
am infertile. The opposite of what God says I should be.
Am I not good enough? Have I
not been blessed by God? Is this a sign from above that I am clearly not meant
to be a mother?
The thought crossed my mind more than once.
I
don’t think any person of the cloth has bad intentions, nor am I suggesting there’s
anything wrong with the words themselves.
I’m just saying that this time, it got to me. And that bothers me a lot.
I
hate admitting that my infertility
exists and I hate letting it get to me. It feels like a personal failure to
emotionally react.
Later,
in the evening, I had another small moment. My father in law was talking to an
old classmate, who asked him “if he was a grandparent yet.”
Now,
that’s a common question. And not a rude one at all. I just happened to be
sitting there to hear it. But I almost felt worse that she posed the question
to my father in law than if she had posed the question to me.
For
the first time, I felt pretty awful that my infertility and a lack of children
was also my in-law’s lack of grandchildren. No matter how rational I try to be,
my mind wandered to the “but for” mentality.
But for MY infertility, they
would be grandparents by now. Hell,
Steve and I would probably be working on our second child at this point.
But for ….
It’s
hard to add another person to the list you feel like you’re letting down. Again,
these are just my feelings – my in-laws have never and would never say anything
like that to me – or even think it.
I
think this was just an overall really emotional week for me. I was tired from sitting
from the bar exam days prior, and keyed up from staring the oral drugs for IVF.
I may not have reacted emotionally (or as emotionally) if not for that.
I
guess my takeaway from all of this is that even in places where we feel safest,
like in church, or during times of joy and celebration, like weddings, you can’t
always escape. Regardless of where I go, or what I do, my infertility doesn’t
change. I can only learn to roll with the punches some days.
Today,
I am praying harder than ever that September will bring us a miracle, and I won’t
ever have to feel this way ever again.

No comments:
Post a Comment